Retrospective evaluation and SEEG trajectory analysis for interactive multi-trajectory planner assistant

Mota

Article

Data

2017-10-01

Egileak

Davide Scorza, Elena De Momi, Lisa Plaino, Gaetano Amoroso, Gabriele Arnulfo, Massimo Narizzano, Luis Kabongo, Francesco Cardinale

Journal

International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery

@Article{
author ={Davide Scorza, Elena De Momi, Lisa Plaino, Gaetano Amoroso, Gabriele Arnulfo, Massimo Narizzano, Luis Kabongo, Francesco Cardinale},
title ={Retrospective evaluation and SEEG trajectory analysis for interactive multi-trajectory planner assistant},
journal ={International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery},
date ={2017-10-01},
year ={2017},
pages ={1727-1738},
number ={10},
volume ={12},
keys ={

SEEG; Automated planning; Computer-assisted surgery; image-guided surgery; epilepsy

},
abstract ={

Focal epilepsy is a neurological disease that can be surgically treated by removing area of the brain generating the seizures. The stereotactic electroencephalography (SEEG) procedure allows patient brain activity to be recorded in order to localize the onset of seizures through the placement of intracranial electrodes. The planning phase can be cumbersome and very time consuming, and no quantitative information is provided to neurosurgeons regarding the safety and efficacy of their trajectories. In this work, we present a novel architecture specifically designed to ease the SEEG trajectory planning using the 3D Slicer platform as a basis.Trajectories are automatically optimized following criteria like vessel distance and insertion angle. Multi-trajectory optimization and conflict resolution are optimized through a selective brute force approach based on a conflict graph construction. Additionally, electrode-specific optimization constraints can be defined, and an advanced verification module allows neurosurgeons to evaluate the feasibility of the trajectory. A retrospective evaluation was performed using manually planned trajectories on 20 patients: the planning algorithm optimized and improved trajectories in 98% of cases. We were able to resolve and optimize the remaining 2% by applying electrode-specific constraints based on manual planning values. In addition, we found that the global parameters used discards 68% of the manual planned trajectories, even when they represent a safe clinical choice. Our approach improved manual planned trajectories in 98% of cases in terms of quantitative indexes, even when applying more conservative criteria with respect to actual clinical practice. The improved multi-trajectory strategy overcomes the previous work limitations and allows electrode optimization within a tolerable time span.

},
ISSN ={1861-6429},
ISI ={Yes}
}