Forecast platform for High Socioeconomic Impact weather events
The aim of METEORISK is to create a new forecast solution in order to achieve the following:
- Minimizing potential damages of dangerous weather events on society and people. A new solution that provides a reliable scene with which emergency management entities (like civil protection) could make decisions and activate plans of action in time to allow minimization of risks on society.
- Foresee weather-caused accidents so that the system works a collaborator to information systems, such as air traffic, roads, public weather forecasts, etc.
- Set up a joint solution for air and road transport as it is the most weather-affected sector, and besides they have specific forecast needs (operation adapted variables), current forecast system have a lack of which.
- Set up a joint solution for water management, since precipitation can happen as rain or as snow, it is the major atmospheric phenomenon to cause damage on society, productive tissue and infrastructure, and have their own infrastructure and management net.
METEORISK therefore suggests to create series of tools that support on decision making regarding weather origin natural risks.
The project aims for the developed technology to gather a large number of applications for different business areas. This is because Spanish companies that carry out international activities usually find the weather information level they have is far from their needs, and therefore the METEORISK project can create very interesting and impacting tools.
Vicomtech is in charge of:
- Developing a data intelligence layer for the support on automatic detection of events based on forecast.
- Participating in the definition and creation of support methodologies and systems for the visualization and simulation/forecast/nowcasting.
- Science/technological dissemination of results.