EOSC- RAISE (Horizon Europe project) provides the infrastructure for a distributed crowdsourced data processing system moving from open data to open access data for processing
Vicomtech is the technical coordinator of the project and leads the work package to develop the logic of the research data node. In addition, it participates in a relevant way in the piloting of the solution related to intelligent mobility.
The real value of open science data for the research community is not only to access them but to process them as conveniently as possible in order to reduce time-to-result and increase productivity.
On the 1st of October 2022 the Horizon Europe RAISE project officially kicked off with the aim to promote a transparent way of processing and sharing data, enabling the research community to publish their outcomes with evidence-based authenticity of the data-analysis performed, ensuring at the same time the accreditation of their work.
The mission of the 40 months duration RAISE project is to provide the infrastructure for a distributed crowdsourced data processing system, moving from open data to open access data for processing. RAISE will be grounded on the fundamental principle defined in the FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management and stewardship (Findability, Accessibility, Interoperability and Reusability) to enhance the Open Science ecosystem and EOSC with services that enable FAIRness of data. To do so, RAISE will bring the processing algorithm (small size) to the dataset (large size) instead of downloading the dataset to the computer where the processing algorithm is. To increase the processing capacity of the dataset repositories, RAISE follows the crowdsourcing concept where researchers can easily integrate in the existing workflows computers serving both their datasets and the processing capacity.
Within the broad domain of Open Data Science, RAISE will assess the effectiveness of RAISE system in real life use cases that are producing large amounts of data and facing major challenges on data sharing, and sensitive data handling:
- Health pilot focuses on the analysis of a variety of datasets ranging from clinical data and medical images, EEG signals and data collected from sensors, for different conditions (Heart failure, stroke) but also different phases of care (hospitalization, transitions, home care).
- Mobility focuses on mobility patterns and driving behavior and aims to investigate the exploitation and combination of open datasets with non-open datasets that contain sensitive data.
- Environment focuses on the analysis of environmental exposure from data collected from personal sensors and aims to investigate how RAISE will tackle the computing power required as well as a careful sharing of data sources while also maintaining privacy protections for personal data.
- Cross-disciplinary, the initial results of the real-life pilots will be combined in a multidisciplinary research study for the city of Thessaloniki in order to investigate also the reuse of code and results in the creation of new joint studies and publications.
Vicomtech is the technical coordinator of the project. In addition, the centre is leading the work package responsible for developing the research data node logic to enable open, secure, and reproducible research data management and processing. Vicomtech also has relevant participation in the smart mobility-related piloting of the solution, involving data collecting, research data node hosting and conducting collaborative research on the topic. Vicomtech will contribute to the project with its experience and knowledge of secure and trusted data spaces, data preparation, synthetic data generation, and artificial intelligence algorithms and model training in the context of smart mobility.
The RAISE consortium consists of 20 partners from 10 countries, with excellent experience in all the tasks defined for RAISE. In particular, the partners provide the project with technical, scientific, innovation and exploitation experience.Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece)
- Vicomtech (Spain)
- Netcompany-Intrasoft (Luxembourg)
- University of Western Macedonia (Greece)
- University of Macedonia (Greece)
- Tecreando (Netherlands)
- Wita (Italy)
- Centre for Research and Technology Hellas (Greece)
- INNOV-ACTS LIMITED (Cyprus)
- VILABS (Cyprus)
- Cyclopt (Greece)
- Karolinska Institute (Sweden)
- ATHENA Research and Innovation Centre (Greece)
- AINIGMA Technologies (Belgium)
- Hasselt University (Belgium)
- OpenAIRE (Greece)
- Eucentre (Italy)
- Enve-X (Greece)
- University of Southampton (UK)
- Royal Institution For The Advancement Of Learning Mcgill University (Canada)
At this initial project phase, we are building the RAISE community willing to use the RAISE services. We are targeting the complete open science community, including SMEs and applied areas of research. Are you interested in being part of this community? Please subscribe to learn more about our activities.
To learn more about our project you can visit our website and follow our social media channels.
*Project financed by the Horizon Europe program of the European Union under the contract number: 101058479