The Biomedical Applications Laboratory is designed for the validation of biomedical engineering systems –with special emphasis on image processing applications and the development of new surgical techniques– by means of the use of diverse radiological, surgical and simulation equipment, at the service of applied research projects carried out at Vicomtech.
The main functions carried out in this laboratory are related to:
Analysis of Biomedical Images
- Structural analysis of biological samples via high-resolution micro-CT scan.
- Professional radiological work stations for the visualisation of biomedical images.
- Visible light and fluorescence optical microscope
- 3D scanners to measure parts and samples at high resolution.
- Simulation of minimally invasive surgery using optic and electromagnetic navigation
- Simulation of image-guided surgery using endoscopy, surgical microscopes and ultrasound equipment.
- Manipulation of surgical instruments by collaborative robots and control via haptic devices.
- Highly realistic patient simulator for rehearsal of multiple medical procedures.
- Phantoms of diverse anatomical structures for simulation and acquisition of images.
High Performance Computing
- High performance servers for the training and validation of artificial intelligence algorithms and the execution of programmes with high computing requirements.